On 06/08/2009 07:54 PM, proge wrote:
> Is there a way to make GWT support other browsers? We have project for
> IPTV, and would like to use GWT to build the UI. But the settop box we
> use is having ANT Galio browser in that, I tried to create a sample
> project with few controls but unfortunately it doesn't works with ANT
> Galio browser, any workarounds? Please help..

Your sample probably failed in that the GWT bootstrap sequence couldn't
identify the browser. From a cursory examination of their site, the ANT
Galio browser seems reasonably standards-compliant.

If you can cause the browser to identify itself as a GWT-supported
browser, the GWT bootstrap code will send the appropriate file. Absent
browser ident games, you'll want to modify the Java code to include the
Galio browser in its browser-sniffing logic.

If you can't get the browser to send an alternate ident string, you
might try hacking the *.nocache.js to handle the Galio browser ident
string and instead reply with either the IE or Firefox branch to the
client. Compile your GWT code as "PRETTY" to get code that's easier to
understand.

Your goal is to get the GWT bootstrap sequence to send code to the
client that can be tested. This code may be for Gecko, IE, or Safari.
This will give you a go/no-go decision point. If the proof-of-concept
works, you'll probably wind up modifying the Java source to recognize
the Galio browser ('cos you're not going to be able to change the
browser ident string on the customer's box). If you're lucky, the Galio
browser will respond well to code generated for one of the GWT supported
browsers. If not, you'll have to add Galio-specific code to GWT.

To repeat: your first try should be to cause the browser to identify
itself as Gecko, IE or Safari. If you can't do that, you'll have to
resort to Other Measures.