As long as you're obiding by the rules of GWT client-side handling, you can
call anywhere you'd like within the client package.
It looks like your experience a rendering versus service calling effect. I
would review the documentations on best practices for creating a GWT
Application with RPC's. Something in the logic isn't accurate, but your
question over RPC calling is fine as long as it remains within the client
domain.

Good luck.