Hi Linda,
The reason why you get the "import javax.xml cannot be resolved" and other
problematic import resolutions is because these are not supported in the GWT
emulated JRE (see doc link below). As the GWT code you right gets
cross-compiled into JavaScript that will run in the browser, there is no
meaningful equivalent for the types you imported in the JS world.

GWT Emulated JRE:
http://code.google.com/webtoolkit/doc/1.6/RefJreEmulation.html

However, it seems like for the types of things that you wanted to do with
those packages (work directly with the DOM, you can use the equivalent DOM
and XML parsing APIs linked below.

DOM API:
http://google-web-toolkit.googlecode.com/svn/javadoc/1.6/com/google/gwt/user/client/DOM.html

XMLParser API:
http://google-web-toolkit.googlecode.com/svn/javadoc/1.6/com/google/gwt/xml/client/XMLParser.html

As for the gwt-math project supporting doubleValue() on the BigDecimal type,
I don't think the team working on the project has had a chance to get around
to adding support for it just yet (see Issue #9 below on the gwt-math issue
tracker).

Issue #9:
http://code.google.com/p/gwt-math/issues/detail?id=9

Hope that helps,