Firstly, yes, it sounds related, although at a first-cousin level
rather than a sibling bug.

Secondly, boy GWT debugging is fragile!! The guide really needs to
emphasize that, although not in those exact words. Please consider
that: (a) I spent an entire day wondering what I might have been doing
wrong; (b) I downloaded THREE versions of JDK (one was already
installed); THREE versions of Eclipse; and juggled various
permutations.

What quickly led me to a resolution, after nearly a full day of
struggling, was the knowledge from your last post (thanks) that
debugging GWT may have issues probably due to its sophistication /
complexity.

Once I knew that there were issues, I first removed Eclipse from the
picture and tried to debug from the command-line debugger. Then I
brought in Eclipse. Until then I was wondering what checkbox in
Eclipse I had forgotten to check. [This was a mildly traumatic
experience because I do not use any IDE, and this was my most
determined attempt to finally try (pun unintended) using Eclipse.
Sigh!]

Ok, I'll end the rant and state my findings. These are not
authoritative but might serve as a motivation for further
investigation:

1. jdk1.5.0_19-32bit -- didn't work
2. jdk1.6.0_12-64bit -- didn't work
3. jdk1.7.0-32bit -- didn't work
      Setting a Client-side Method Breakpoint in command-line JDB (no
Eclipse) FAILED:
          Got a null pointer exception from somewhere in com.sun.*
stack
4. jdk1.6.0_13-32bit -- worked but with a catch
5. Eclipse 3.5 Galileo RC4 + jdk1.6.0_13-32bit -- worked with the
following catch (the same catch referred to above):
      Setting a Client-side Method Breakpoint in Eclipse FAILS
      Setting a Client-side Line Breakpoint in Eclipse works
      Setting a Server-side Method Breakpoint in Eclipse works
      Setting a Client-side Method Breakpoint in command-line JDB (no
Eclipse) WORKS(!)

I would suggest two things for the GWT folks:
  1. Please test debugging with the latest GA releases of both JDK and
Eclipse (and update the post-GWT-release guide accordingly)
  2. Please let people know that there may be issues, some could be
very subtle such as a Method breakpoint vs. a Line breakpoint.  (The
current GWT guide is rather sing-song (cavalier) about debugging which
makes the developer attack the problem as if s/he might be making an
Eclipse config error, rather than doing a faster problem isolation by
first simplifying the picture.

Thanks & Cheers!