Well, I did try using a RequestBuilder as I mentioned above and it had
the same problem.  I also made sure that my callback was not an inner
class of the class making the request in case it was capturing the
outer class and holding on to it until the response returned.

I did find a solution that works but is a bit of a hack.  I add an
image to the application who's URL points to the servlet I added.
That does appear to fire off the call to the server on both navigating
away from the page as well as closing the window.  It looks something
like this:

RootPanel.get().add(new Image(<url to servlet>));