For information I made some test on using the javascript
String.localeCompare() method to handle this.
My need is that as a French guy I need "état" to be sorted before
"civil". java.text.Collator is needed to do this in Java but I don't
need all this class features.
I've used this :

public class Collator {

    public static final Collator getInstance()  {
        return instance;
    }

    private static final Collator instance = new Collator();

    public native int compare( String source, String target ); /*-{
           return source.localeCompare( target );
       }-*/
}

This works on IE (I don't need multi-browser support for my current
app), but this method also exists on Firefox > 2 and Webkit AFAIK. Not
sure it behaves the same way on other browsers.

Hope this helps