Ive been building a dynamic website, with the content displayed chosen
by the current contents of the history/bookmark token at the end of
the url.
eg.
/main.html#DisplayReview=220

This works great, as the whole site doesn't have to be refreshed,
hugely reducing bandwidth for me and speeding up the site for the
users. This is, of course,whats recommended to do.

My site is also, so far, completely bookmarkable this way. URLs link
directly to the current state of the app....as it should. My users
should be able to swap links just like any other site.

Problem is, I want the site to happly work when javascript is disabled
as well. If nothing else, this is needed for search-engines to index
it correctly. So I needed a way for php to display the same content
from the same links....
...only to find, to my horror, php cant seem to access anything past
the "#"...its as good as invisible!

HELP!!!

Even hiding it in a query string dosnt work
( /main?blah#DisplayReview=220.....only the blah is detected).

Now, I cant change my #'s links to ?'s...as dynamic query string
changes make the page reload, and it would completely break my history-
support.

So I'm left a bit puzzled as to what I can do.

How can I keep the sites states bookmarkable, but also have those same
URLs readable by php?
I really dont want to resort to an extra "click to get url" unless I
absolutely have too.  (and besides, wouldnt that also mess up search
engine indexing? )

Ive got a vague idea that .htaccess voodoo might help me out.

Maybe htaccess can itself see the # data when the user requests the
url, and dynamically change it to a ?. (?)

I'm not hot with htaccess at all, so it might not be able to do
either, then I really am stuck.

I know htaccess stuff isnt strictly ontopic, but I'm asking here
because it seems like a common problem people building gwt sites would
have.
Unfortunately googleing this stuff is useless....(# and ? arnt exactly
mySQL-based search engine friendly querys...google dosnt seem to
support escaping your searchs).

..so I hope someone here can help.

I also hope I made myself clear.