Ah, just figured it out... very frustrated with myself for not
thinking of this sooner (I won't say how many hours I burnt up).

I did a fresh install of 3.5 on another user account and it did not
have the same problem. It ends up that somehow my zoom in FF got set
to -1 causing weirdness on decorated corners.

Thanks again Alex.

-Mike