My 2 cents worth is that you can either modify your existing GWT app
to allow for new product/image creation/editing/deletion or you will
have to write RPC or other Request tools that can modify/query the
CMS's data store.

I have not looked "under the hood" of many of the CMS's out there but
the one or two I have looked at seem to have pretty complex database/
file layouts and connections.  It seems easier to conceptualize
modifying the GWT app than trying to hook into the CMS's internal
structure.