As you've discovered, neither Jetty nor GWT will recognize Eclipse linked
folders.  The only case where they would work is if the WAR folder is itself
a symbolic link, issue
3692<http://code.google.com/p/google-web-toolkit/issues/detail?id=3692>aside.

If your OS supports it, you could try a symbolic link.

--
Miguel