In addition to this.

I have just tried the very same code on my laptop with GWT SDK 1.6.4
and Google Plugin for Eclipse 3.4 and it works fine.

So.. .i uninstalled GWT on my problematic machine. Opened the
workspace with the -clean command. Reinstalled GWT SDK and Plugin
(didnt install the app engine this time as i dont think i need it). I
then ran the same code i created the previous day and that failed
again.... ahhhhhh!!

So, i deleted all my code.. .deleted the workspace and started again
with the sample app. Didnt include the App Engine when creating the
GWT Application. Recreated the same code.. and.......

hey presto it now works.!!!!!!!!

Very confused but i guess my previous attempt at the demo copied some
jar files into the WEB-INF/lib direcotry that werent quite right.
Anyway.. onwards and upwards..

So i think for now.. i am ok..

Will keep you posted.

Thanks again for your help.