Hi Dorothy,
Most of the cases reported on this thread involved using multiple GWT
libraries along with GWT core itself. As Jason suggested above, it's
possible that one of the reasons for the slowdown is many Java to JS
boundary crossings in the associated libraries.

I'm not familiar with GWTX, but you may want to check out some of its
implementation details to see if it is also making a lot of Java to JS jumps
through JSNI bindings. Depending what your application does when it first
loads up (the GWT module itself and any third party libraries), there may
also be a culprit responsible for slowdowns there.

Another thing to check would be how many logs are being generated when your
start up your application and its 4 modules in hosted mode. It's possible
that these are causing considerable slowdown if the logLevel parameter is
set in your launch configuration. If this is the case, try omitting the
-logLevel DEBUG flag in your launch configuration to see if that speeds
things up.

Hope that helps,
-Sumit Chandel