I wouldn't suggest it this late in the game.  Event handling changed
between 1.5.3 and 1.7, not to mention a bunch of layout "fixes" that
you've probably already worked around in various ways.  If your
release time is "very close" this kind of change can be hazardous to
your delivery schedule.  If your are experiencing problems with 1.5.3
that you know are fixed by 1.7 and are blocking your delivery then of
course you may not have a choice.  But short of that, I wouldn't do
it.