I dont think that you're looking at your problem right.  For starters
GWT and AppEngine are to totally separate and unrelated things. If you
don't intend to host on AppEngine you probably dont need to develop
with it.

Using RPC's to add lines of text to a file sounds like a really bad
idea. Like everyone else is saying, use a DB.  AppEngine should make
persisting the info to a DB about as simple as it gets. (if you want
to use it)

When you're ready to pull down the user entered code to compile it you
can use an admin GWT page (or a simple servlet) that you would create
to read the text from the DB, and send it down to you so that it can
be compiled.  If you wrote the retrieving component as a servlet then
you could set the page content type to plain/text and write the text
directly to the response which would give you a file save dialog when
you try to retrieve it.

Just my quick though to solving the problem, ymmv.