Hi shoe54,
The reason why the HorizontalSplitPanel (and other split panels and widgets)
are declared as final classes is because when these widgets were first
introduced, we wanted to make them very easy to use the right way, and very
hard to use the wrong way. Implementing something like a split panel can be
tricky, and so subclassing such a class and overriding key methods might
have easily led to a broken implementation, and an unhappy developer.

That said, widgets like the split panels seemed to have passed the test of
time, and it seems like allowing them as well as other widgets to be
subclassed should now be part of The Right Way, while continuing to make it
difficult to use or subclass the widgets the wrong way.

Issue #1394 in the Issue Tracker talks about opening up the split panel
class or perhaps replacing it with widgets that provide easier access to
their inner workings. Feel free to start the issue report to get updates as
the team figures out the best way to open it up while leaving it easy to use
correctly.

Issue #1394:
http://code.google.com/p/google-web-toolkit/issues/detail?id=1394

Hope that helps,