Hi Bryan,
A potential workaround would be to create the Frame with a known token to
indicate that the next history token pushed / popped from the browser
history stack comes from the frame page? For example, you could place an #ad
token to the URL to which you're sourcing the Frame, and inspect the token
for the #ad identifier in your history listener and programmatiicaly go
History.back() / History.forward() until you pop the token you were
expecting in your application context. This might have the effect of
additional click sounds when your user navigates back to the application and
presses back / forward (specifically on IE), but I'm not sure if this is
unavoidable since history events in a frame from a page will add tokens to
the browser history stack.

Hope that helps,
-Sumit Chandel