On Aug 20, 4:46 pm, Laird Nelson <ljnel...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 20, 2009 at 9:39 AM, Zé Vicente <josevicentec...@gmail.com>wrote:
>
> > I would say that all you need to do is to use runAsync() to saparate
> > Adm features from regular features and then make sure that on server
> > side you check for each operation, if the user has the good credential
> > to execute it.
>
> Bear in mind that unless I've misread the documentation runAsync() will not
> always split the code where you have asked it to split it.
>
> I think the original poster still has a valid point; I'd be curious to see
> what the GWT guys have to say about this (very, very common) use case.  How
> does one separate admin code from normal user code in a GWT application?
>
> Obviously the ultimate answer is to make sure that the server side
> functionality is protected by an authentication mechanism, so that no matter
> what you can't run an admin function unless you are authenticated as an
> admin.  But it seems like there should be a way beyond runAsync() to
> reliably segment application code that is downloaded to the browser.

Right...consider this use case: You have two roles, one for manager
and one for employee. You wouldn't want the employee downloading the
manager's part of the application as well. In there might be sensitive
information revealing management policy/procedure, structure or other
things that are not intended to be viewed by employees.

And in general, even though RPC methods will be protected from being
called, it's better if users can't look at the client stubs for
sensitive methods to learn about what parameters are passed and what's
returned, as that might inadvertently reveal internal info about how
the system works, which might be used in other attacks.

regards,
Phineas