I'm not sure about a textarea.

But you can do this using a ScrollPanel.

You can add a FlowPanel to your ScrollPanel.
All your text messages can be Label Widgets that you Add to  your Flow
Panel.

After adding the Label Widget you can call:

        scrollPanel.scrollToBottom();

 Or...
     scrollPanel.ensureVisible(someWidget)

I am doing something similar with a scrollable form,  if there is a
data entry error, I can scroll to the field in error and display it to
the user.

Thanks,
Mike.

That will force the