This is a simple example to resize and change the format of an image in the
server side.
I hope it helps you

Manolo Carrasco

import java.awt.Graphics;
import java.awt.Image;
import java.awt.image.BufferedImage;
import java.io.File;
import java.io.IOException;

import javax.imageio.ImageIO;
import javax.swing.ImageIcon;

public class ImageManipulator {
    transform("image.jpg", "image.png", 100, 100, "png");
  }

  public static void transform(String fileOrig, String fileFinal, int width,
int height, String format) throws IOException {

    File file = new File(fileOrig);
    BufferedImage buffImgOrig = ImageIO.read(file);

    ImageIcon thumb = new ImageIcon(buffImgOrig.getScaledInstance(width,
height, Image.SCALE_SMOOTH));
    BufferedImage buffImgFinal = new BufferedImage(thumb.getIconWidth(),
thumb.getIconHeight(), BufferedImage.TYPE_INT_RGB);
    Graphics g = buffImgFinal.getGraphics();
    g.drawImage(thumb.getImage(), 0, 0, null);

    File outputfile = new File(fileFinal);
    ImageIO.write(buffImgFinal, format, outputfile);