On Aug 26, 9:48 pm, gjoseph <joseph.greg...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I was wondering if anyone had pointers, ideas, examples, or anything
> that could help clarify if writing a GWT-based application that would
> also be based on plugins, where said plugins would consist of client-
> side code (i.e gwt modules) AND server-side components... is at all
> possible. These plugins can be added/updated/removed from the app,
> much like osgi allows one to do with bundles.
>
> At the moment I can't quite picture yet how to build and deploy this
> sort of application (without having each plugin re-embedding the whole
> of the application client code itself), especially if we're talking
> dynamic (at runtime) (un/)loading of said plugins. The one way we're
> sort-of considering at the moment would be to actually use the
> compiler in our app (!), when plugins are added/updated/removed. That
> doesn't seem like the most optimal and elegant approach ;)
>
> I am looking into wrapper types, custom linkers, ... but it's still a
> bit blurry how it all would fit together... so if anybody has any
> pointer or thoughts about this subject, that would be much
> appreciated !

Let me add some context, which I realize now might be missing: our app
is (ideally) bundled as a single .war file; we currently have the
afore-mentioned plugin-based system, but we're trying to replace our
antiquated ui code with GWT.
Plugins, as far as client code go, could introduce new widgets, add
menu items to existing menus, that sort of thing... which renders half
of the optimization that GWT can do useless (i.e dead code can't be
removed, because it might be needed by plugins).

Any hope ?

-g