I didn't have any experience with Java servers also, having worked
mostly with Python,
but using servlets with the GWT RPC model is very easy.
I run my test GWT application with Tomcat and Jetty with no problems.
I think any of these servers are OK for testing and even production.

I am not currently using any framework,  but I am researching
an ORM to use with my project (currently I am using standard JDBC).
An ORM can really boost productivity but there is some issues using
ORMs with GWT, since you can't transfer through RPC entity classes
generated by the ORMs. These classes need to be converted
to/from DTOs before RPC or you need to user some class
converter (gilead, dozer).

See:
http://code.google.com/webtoolkit/articles/using_gwt_with_hibernate.html

Regards,