I've never had any problem with

            RequestBuilder builder = new RequestBuilder(RequestBuilder.POST,
getPhpUrl() + PHP_PING_FILENAME);
            builder.setHeader("Content-Type",
"application/x-www-form-urlencoded");
            builder.sendRequest("id=" + id, new DummyCallback());

But if your function really does call itself every second as you say, you'll
run out of stack space before too long.

Ian

http://examples.roughian.com