I dont have any tutorials at hand but your understanding of where the
DB code lies is correct.  It's totally on the server side and has
nothing to do with GWT.  Your GWT app would get access to the data via
RPC.  The RPC methods would in turn get data from the DB.

Hibernate is an ORM (object relational mapper) which allows you to tie
Classes to DB tables in a way that is largely transparent to your
application.  One problem though in using hibernate with GWT is that
the classes created via hibernate cant be serialized to the client via
RPC (not that i know of anyway) so a lot of people use different
libraries to make clones of the faux-POJO's so that they can be
serialized.  (I do this in the project that i'm working on but i did
it by hand)  (um, POJO means plain old java object).

If you're interested in using hibernate you should probably use it
from the start because retrofitting the application after the fact
would on undoubtedly be extremely painful. But with that said and with
as much as i love hibernate if you're using all of these new
technologies together for the first time you may become overwhelmed
and hibernate is a fairly involved framework so you might be better
off getting a good grip on GWT and GWT's RPC mechanism first.

but as always, ymmv