Yeah, you have to do the identification in the server, there are various
libraries that makes it easy.

- http://sourceforge.net/projects/mime-util

MimeUtil.registerMimeDetector("eu.medsea.mimeutil.detector.MagicMimeMimeDetector");
File f = new File ("c:/temp/mime/test.doc");
Collection<?> mimeTypes = MimeUtil.getMimeTypes(f);
System.out.println(mimeTypes);

- http://sourceforge.net/projects/jmimemagic/

Magic parser = new Magic() ;
MagicMatch match = parser.getMagicMatch(new File("gumby.gif"));
System.out.println(match.getMimeType()) ;

- http://lucene.apache.org/tika/

File f = new File("C:/Temp/mime/test.docx");
FileInputStream is = new FileInputStream(f);

ContentHandler contenthandler = new BodyContentHandler();
Metadata metadata = new Metadata();
metadata.set(Metadata.RESOURCE_NAME_KEY, f.getName());
Parser parser = new AutoDetectParser();
parser.parse(is, contenthandler, metadata);
System.out.println("Mime: " + metadata.get(Metadata.CONTENT_TYPE));

Source: http://www.rgagnon.com/javadetails/java-0487.html

Manolo Carrasco