Barring any last minute issues, we should have version 1.1.2 of the plugin
ready to go by end of day today.  It will be compatible with MS1 and it will
also address this -XstartOnFirstThread issue which causes the beach ball.
 Please see issue
http://code.google.com/p/google-web-toolkit/issues/detail?id=3923 for more
details.
In the meantime, you could create a java launch configuration in Eclipse and
specify the entry point, GWT arguments and tweak the classpath.  The
following links should help get you setup:
http://code.google.com/webtoolkit/doc/1.6/FAQ_DebuggingAndCompiling.html,
http://code.google.com/p/google-web-toolkit/wiki/UsingOOPHM.

HTH,

--