GWT's History object, which allows you to create browser history
within a GWT ajax app, works differently across browsers.

Within IE, FF and Safari calling History.newItem(String historyToken,
boolean issueEvent) for the first time adds a browser history state on
top of the history event of navigating to the GWT web app.

ie. Start at site http://google.com then navigate to http://myapp.appspot.com
(made up site) then interact with the site to go to
http://myapp.appspot.com#page2
and your history will look like:

myapp - page2
myapp - home
Google

Within Opera and Chrome (normal channel as well as dev channel)
calling History.newItem() for the first time replaces the history
state of navigating to the GWT web app.

The above example results in the following history:

myapp page2
Google

While this may be a bug, I don't care because I just need a way to
detect (with javascript or GWT) which way the browser will behave.
Does anyone know how I could detect this? The only thing I can think
of is to detect which browser the user is using in order to process
this situation. This obviously would be terrible programming because
if any of the browsers change their behavior I would need to change my
app.

Many many thanks!

p.s. the url to myapp.appspot.com is made up, I have no idea if it is
real. It was just for example.

If you really need to see an example I could make an example site.