On 20 oct, 16:50, bconoly <bcon...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey all,
>    I was watching a video from a google conference the other day and
> one of the presenters mentioned a CSS compiler that will be added to
> GWT 2.0.  While this is compiling and optimizing the css will this
> also be creating a single sprite based off of the CSS background
> images and modifying the css code to work accordingly?

Yes (well, not really, it generates the appropriate CSS from a special
@sprite+gwt-image declaration).

...and it doesn't necessarily generate a sprite image; actually by
default it doesn't: it uses "data:" URLs for all browsers but ie6
(i.e. actually IE6, IE7 and IE8-in-compat-mode) for which it generates
an MHTML file and "mhtml:" URLs.
The ImageBundle behavior of generating a sprite image is an opt-in
(<set-property name="ClientBundle.enableInlining" value="false" />);
but note that it is more powerful than ImageBundle too, as it allows
you to repeat your images (either horizontally, vertically or both),
and it will in this case generate several sprite images (one for non-
repeating images, one for vertically-repeating, one for horizontally-
repeating, and finally images repeating in both directions are not
"bundled"/sprited at all)

See http://code.google.com/p/google-web-toolkit/wiki/CssResource#Image_Sprites