Right after I posted this message I came accross another sample code that
allowed me pass the error and let me upload the my image.

Here is the code that let me do that.

ServletFileUpload upload = *new* ServletFileUpload();

response.setContentType("text/plain");

FileItemIterator iterator = upload.getItemIterator(request);

*while* (iterator.hasNext())

{

FileItemStream item = iterator.next();

InputStream stream = item.openStream();

*if* (*false* == item.isFormField())

{

*int* len;

*byte*[] buffer = *new* *byte*[8192];

*while* ((len = stream.read(buffer, 0, buffer.length)) != -1)

{

//your code build buffer
}

//your code here to persist to database... use Blob

I suspect that the error I was getting was due to the use of
'DiskFileItemFactory'