Like I said, it's just my impression. I was doing both desktop and web
development before I came to GWT. I've been on this list over 3 years, I
don't know how long you have, so I've seen a lot of newbies (as well as
having been one, of course) -  web developers learning Java (there are
plenty of resources for that out there) just have to learn a new language
with a very similar syntax to what they are used to. The chances of them
never having come across a C-style language is extremely slim.
Java desktop app developers know the language but sometimes have trouble
working out how the web works which is why this list keeps getting questions
from desktoppers wondering why, when the fire off an Ajax request, the data
is missing when they try to use it in the next line, and then, when they
have it explained to them, ask 'how do I block the thread until it comes
back, then?'

Web developers ask for a good Java resource, or ask how something they do in
JavaScript can be done in GWT. They tend to know a lot of what the web can
do (for obvious reasons) whereas pure desktoppers don't (for equally obvious
reasons).

Events are not new to web applications. Click events have always been a
fairly essential part of moving about the web.

As a desktop developer, you would probably approach it as if you were
writing a desktop app. As a website developer, you would probably approach
it like a web site.

A web application is something else again that neither of those types of
programmer probably have much knowledge of.

I have no idea what you mean my MPC. Sorry.

Ian

http://examples.roughian.com