I don't know if this helps, but I wrote a PersonSugggestOracle that
extends SuggestOracle

The method below calls the server.  It doesn't call the server if
there are not at least 2 characters typed.

On the server side, I have a sql query that uses the characters to
perform a 'like' comparison on the first name, or the lastname so it
works similar to like a multiword suggest oracle.
On the server, I return the Person Name as a small HTML string with
<b></b> tags surround the characters that the user typed to emphasize
the part of the first or last name that is matching. I also limit the
response to 12 matching records on the server.

 @Override
    public void requestSuggestions(Request request, Callback callback)
{
        nameCallback = callback;
        String q = request.getQuery();
        if (q >=2) {
                   asyncRequest.personSuggest(q,submitterId,12,new
PersonsReceived
(request));

Mike.