Ah, going to the JavaDocs I see that you are correct. I also notice
this snippet here:

A rich text editor that allows complex styling and formatting. Because
some browsers do not support rich text editing, and others support
only a limited subset of functionality, there are two formatter
interfaces, accessed via getBasicFormatter() and getExtendedFormatter
(). A browser that does not support rich text editing at all will
return null for both of these, while one that supports only the basic
functionality will return null for the latter.

I can try it (probably this weekend) to check for both formatters, and
if both are null, switch the input to a text box. Obviosuly it'll only
accept plain text, but it's better then it not working at all.