> createElement is synchronous/blocking; it doesn't return before
> completion, so there's no need for an event.
> You might need to attach the widget (or at least its element) to the
> document though to have its size computed so you can later adjust it.

I attached the new Element to its container using appendChild
(newElement) and checked for its height right afterwards, but the
height is always 0. I used
newElement.getClientHeight(), is that correct?

does the layout happen right after the appendChild()? or is there a
way to detect when the layout is completed?