ok, I found my problem.

In my client code, I had a try/catch expression that would ignore a
NullPointerException when a Map entry was attepted that didn't exist.
I replaced this, and my web app works as expected.

On a similar note, does anybody have any javascript debugging tips for
GWT? I have no way to set breakpoints / or otherwise observe the
javascript of my app. this is making debugging with alert statements
tedious.