I am also very interested in this capability.  After spending this
entire day researching the question and then attempting various
combinations of code in web-jetty.xml configuration files I am not
convinced it is possible yet.

I have succeeded in deploying gwt code built using the instantiations
plug-in to a glassfish server and accessing a mysql database.
However, I would like to have the analogous capabilitiy on my
development platform -- hence the need for the gwt hosted mode server
(jetty) to be able to access datasources.

The current version of jetty distributed with the latest gwt (1.7.1)
hosted mode is jetty 6.1.11.  This version of jetty apparently did not
incorporate jdbc support.  Rather, jdbc capability was distributed
separately in another package (jetty.plus...?) for 6.1.11.   It
appears that jetty 7.0 (which has migrated over to the eclipse
foundation for future development) does incorporate a jdbc capability
as part of its core distribution.  But this version of jetty is not
available (yet) as part of gwt.  So it looks like we wait for gwt to
upgrade to jetty 7.0.

If someone has another idea for how to get the gwt hosted mode server
to recognize and connect to datasources (specifically mysql), I'm all
ears.