Sorry, I thought the XMLHttpRequests weren't leaking, but apparently
they still might be.

Here's what I did:
Google Chrome 4.0.249.22 (Development version)
GWT 2.0.0 RC2
Created GWT app: webAppCreator -out MemTest memtest.MemTest
Added this to onModuleLoad():

    Timer timer = new Timer() {
        @Override
        public void run() {
                greetingService.greetServer("xxx", new AsyncCallback<String>() {
                        public void onFailure(Throwable caught) {
                        }

                        public void onSuccess(String result) {
                        }
                });
        }
    };
        timer.scheduleRepeating(1 * 1000);

Ran the generated MemTest launcher (OOPHM) and clicked "Launch Default
Browser" (Chrome).

After a couple hours, the mem was 50MB+ (according to "Task
manager"/"Stats for nerds") and Page/Developer/"Developer Tools"/
Profiles/"Heap Snapshot" indicated 2500+ instances of XMLHttpRequest.

Though, the snapshot indicated that only 5MB or so of memory was being
used, so I don't know what is using the other 45MB+.

I also opened a OOPHM session in IE8, and the same steady memory
increase was observed (though the growth was actually slower).