The problem may have been an old hosted.html file that existed from an old
SDK. Right now, there is a problem where that file is not re-generated when
the SDK is switched. I believe that you would have achieved the same effect
if you had blown away the generated directory for your app under the war
folder.

System.out.println/System.err.println statements in server code will appear
in Eclipse's Console View. At this time, there is no real way to contribute
logging statements to the Development Mode View from your application; the
statements that appear there are generated by GWT's TreeLogger, which is a
part of GWT's infrastructure.