UPDATE
(this text is duplicated from another thread, but thought I'd better
post what I learned here too)

Turns out I guess I am a bit "too bleeding edge" and was using the
newly released Chrome beta for linux (Fedora) and it doesn't have the
GWT developer plugin.  At first I had missed the message in the
browser because I also had a problem in that my application tries to
"trap" query strings to use for a single-signon redirect.  I had to
disable that feature in my application for now since this development
mode uses it's own redirect.  So there were no logging messages since
the browser didn't know what was going on without a Dev plugin.

Paul