Are you using the Google Plugin for Eclipse? If you are, then it's not
necessary to make any changes to the main class - this is done for you
automatically by the plugin.

What is the URL that you're hitting your application with when you're trying
to debug it? It almost sounds like you're running in Web Mode instead of
Development Mode.

Do you know if your browser has the GWT Developer Plugin installed?