You can use the Google Plugin for Eclipse 1.2 with GWT 1.7 - they are
compatible. So, you can install the latest plugin from the update side BUT
exclude the installation of the SDK. Even if you did install the SDK, it
does not automatically change your project over to use the new one, so you
would not be in a "forced upgrade" situation anyway.

As an FYI, whenever we release a new version of the plugin, we maintain
backwards compatibility with previous versions of the GWT and App Engine
SDKs. So, GPE 1.2 works with App Engine 1.2.0 - 1.2.8 and GWT 1.4 - 2.0. If
we ever decide to drop support for a particular SDK, we'll clearly call that
out in the release notes.