Hi Chris,

it is much easier to interpret your results using the Story of Your
Compile (soyc) report feature built into GWT 2.0. To activte that you
need to add -compileReport to the arguments of the GWT compiler (if
you are using the Eclipse plugin, the compiler arguments are hidden
under the "Advanced" panel in the compile dialogue). It will show you
exactly which functions take what amount of space etc.. You will then
find your compile report in the subdirectory extras/ in your project
root.

Anyway, from the looks of it in both of your tests the vast majority
of the code is downloaded right at the beginning (328/329 k), then the
code for your first panel is downloaded, which is about 30k, as well
as a leftover fragment (0.5/7.6k k), which includes code that is
specific to no particular split point. It is also possible, that the
30k are the leftover and the 0.5k are the split point code. The
remaining code required for the second click seems to be pretty
smallish at less than 1k. There definitely seems to be room for
improvement in your setup, but it is really hard to tell how exactly
based on your analysis. You can find out how to optimize your
splitpoints in the developers guide
http://code.google.com/webtoolkit/doc/latest/DevGuideCodeSplitting.html
.

Concerning your second question, my preliminary tests have shown that
static member functions and variables do not cause the entire class to
be loaded, so you should be okay :)

Cheers and happy coding,

Jonas