This bears repeating every now and then, because I just spent a number
of hours trying to figure out why my images were all turning to lil'
red x's in Internet Explorer.

I don't know all the reasons that it happens, though for me it seems
to happen when I try to load a second image using the ErrorHandler.
But what usually fixes it for me is just this:

Make sure that the image is actually added to the RootPanel before
setting the URL! Not just added to the parent widget -- you want it to
actually be attached to the page. For popups, make sure the popup is
showing before you try to set the image URL.

Hopefully this saves someone from annoyance in a distant, post-
apocalyptic future somewhere.