To answer my own question:

GWT was taking the right margin of the element and subtracting this
from the width of it's container and then setting this as the width in
the inline style. This seems to not be specific to DockLayoutPanel but
it is specific to IE6.

So for example, our uibinder xml looked something like this

<g:DockLayoutPanel unit="PX">

           <g:west size="200">
               <a:TabList ui:field="tabList"/>
           </g:west>
           <g:center>
           </g:center>
        </g:DockLayoutPanel>

When viewing the DOM using the IE developer toolbar, TabList's element
had a right margin of 20px for some reason. So I guess this is why GWT
would place style="width:180px" on the TabList's element. We fixed it
by explicitly setting the right margin to 0.