I'd just check, if the encoding of the mail is set correctly.

If the client does not support unicode at all, you're out of
luck anyway, because users could include all other sorts of
unicode chars (for which no html-entity exists)

you could of course implement a way to convert the chars to
their html-entities (XSLT?), but since would only be a partial
solution it may not be worth the effort.

maybe you could use another editor that can keep the entites.

these links might be helpful for you:
 * http://sourceforge.net/projects/xmlchar/
 * http://martin-trummer.blogspot.com/2009/11/wysiwyg-gotchas.html