Keith,

Thanks you for taking this on!

I think you've got a decent grasp of the issues; I've basically been
forcing the GWT project to have a different structure than is
recommended/required because I can't get the maven plugin to work
right otherwise.

My answers to your questions (but mostly because of how broken things
are) go something like this:
- I don't create new projects (or haven't lately), so I'm useless
here.
- I compile at the command line (mvn gwt:compile)
-- I also use m2eclipse plugin (http://m2eclipse.sonatype.org/
update/), but in a GWT context, it's not terribly reliable about
picking up changes I've made in one file that break compilation in
other files.
- I  haven't succeeded in debugging with Eclipse, and mostly don't
try.  (The server side of the app is GAE-python; I'm sure it's
possible, but hasn't been worth the neurons.)
- I run unit tests at the command line (mvn test)
- I don't really create a war.  Mostly, I link (or, for real
deployment, copy & check in) the /html directory of my python app to
the output directory of the GWT project

I should note that I'm a particularly tough case--this project has
been around since (?before?) GWT-1.5 (and certainly before java was
available on the appengine), so we had to do something about the
transition to the war structure.  We also used the totsp maven plugin
to start with, and had to do something to move to the current codehaus
plugin.  Mostly, that "something" in both cases was a combination of
hacking and finessing.  (I'm not a real maven expert either, so I
probably haven't worked out the right answers.  But they work.)

Hope this helps; I'm happy to send along a (redacted) pom if it would
help.

Best,
LH