I played around with this idea a while back. The result is available
on Google Code (link below). It's Apache 2 license, like GWT, so you
can use it on those terms. It was written in the GWT 1.6 era and I'm
not actively developing the project at this time, but please do leave
any feedback you may have. A little outside interest might be just
what I need to get back into it.

SimpleGWT ComboBox
http://code.google.com/p/simple-gwt/wiki/ComboBoxModule

- Isaac