I'll explain as best I can.

I upgrade my project from 1.7.1 to 2.0 and tried to get it running.
When that didn't work out, I reverted the project back to use GWT1.7.1
(via the eclipse Google GWT project setting). I cleaned the project,
closed and re-opened eclipse. I even tried to delete the hosted.html
and I recreated the workspace. These didn't work (IE, I couldn't get
the application to open in debug mode, since the hosted browser kept
trying to browse to the plugin site and failed there). I run windows 7
64bit.

This was before your email and I decided to give up, try to get an old
eclipse with an old plugin.

Then when I read your mail I decided to try one last time (This was
the next day so there was a reboot somewhere in there). The project
ran perfectly the first time and my jaw soon hit the floor. So I know
now that it is possible I'll just not try to downgrade a project
again.

Thanks!