I ahve been able to get it to work with this setup:

http://claudiushauptmann.com/tutorial-gwt-maven-and-eclipse-with-m2eclipse.html

I am now trying to get it to work with -server
com.google.appengine.tools.development.gwt.AppEngineLauncher but
unsuccessfully
You may also get problems with class paths trying to import libraries
twice (once from eclipse and again from local repo?) which i haven't
been able to resolve