The problem has to do with the P2 system used in Eclipse 3.4+. This is the
provisioning system, which is responsible for plugin installation and
management.

Every so often, P2 performs a "garbage collection" of plugins that are no
longer used by Eclipse. If you deliver SDKs by using plugins as the delivery
mechanism, P2 deletes the older ones, because Eclipse only runs the latest
version of a given plugin.

By modifying the plugin ID every time we deliver a new SDK, we prevent P2
from garbage-collecting older SDKs.

While this is not an ideal solution, it's a decent compromise until we can
come up with another way to deliver SDKs during the Eclipse installation
process.