As I posted a while back, I was having severe memory leak issues.  In
order:

- Look at your own code.  If you're still holding references to
widgets, GC doesn't think it's supposed to free them (of course).  In
particular, watch out for static references, which don't get cleared
even when objects are cleaned up.
- You can add onUnload() methods to try to explicitly null out
whatever you can.  And if these aren't getting called, that's a big
clue.
- If you use ImageBundle, consider turning off support for IE6
transparency.  That was killing me, because...
- As far as I can tell, some GWT widgets just plain leak.  PopupPanel
is the only one I'm pretty sure leaks, but the GWT issues list shows
other suspects. IE7 seems to be worst.

To your original question, no, I think there's really no way to force
GC to free something it thinks you have a reference to.

Hope this helps,
Geoff