First, take a look at this article and see if it covers your needs.
This is the official position on GAE and authentication.

http://code.google.com/appengine/articles/auth.html

If that's not going to cut it for you, then take a look at
http://www.mindrot.org/projects/jBCrypt/

If you were using GWT and weren't going to deploy for a while, then
you might want to take a look at
http://code.google.com/p/google-web-toolkit/wiki/RpcAuth

I hope this helps.